My Blog List

Monday, January 16, 2012

Back to blogging...CrossFitting while pregnant and beyond


I remember my first doctors appointment. In walked a rather large woman whom I was put into the care of for nine months. Seriously? I'm sure she ate processed food and her idea of exercise was walking to the fridge. I kid you not, it was bad.

Everyone knows doctors are notorious for their lengthy questions and standard "safe" answers...no way was I telling her about CrossFit! Can you imagine her horror as to what I did to my body and what I planned to continue to do while pregnant? Flip 300lb tires...jump on 20 inch boxes....climb a rope...back squats....pull ups....the list goes on and on.

We are usually the best judge of our own health. I made sure to checkout crossfitmom.com and various CrossFit Journal entries about pregnancy. I listened to my body, if it didn't feel right then I just didn't do it. I also checked out Robb Wolf's podcasts about eating Paleo while pregnant, something I highly suggest! I stayed true to my paleo-ness but allowed myself a few more cheat meals. I refused the glucose test. I couldn't fathom subjecting my baby to a gross amount of sugar just to see how my body would react. Hello! If I don't eat sugar how do you think it would do slamming a cup of that poison? No thanks.

We moved mid pregnancy and started going to a better doctor. He seemed to understand my love for fitness and health, awesome!

By my eighth month we found out our little girl was under weight, however, my doctor told me she was perfectly normal it just seemed like something to be concerned with because so many women have much larger babies because of their high sugar/carb diet ( ok, he actually said too many flautas but you get the idea....). She was born at a totally normal weight, 7.4lbs.

But I did do my research regarding baby weight, mommy's diet, mommy's workout habits, etc....Babies who's mommies workout hard are more able to handle stressful situations, i.e. childbirth, and those hormones that we produce during and after workout, endorphins, are enjoyed by our baby too! Mommy's who ate minimal carbs/sugars during pregnancy and breast feeding had lower weight babies (but normal birthweight) grew up into leaner, healthier adults.
Don't buy the hype, we don't NEED cereal, bread, pasta or rice. We were created to do amazing things, teach 'em young.

4 comments:

Amy *almost* Duchene said...

Love this!! Thanks Jen :)

Hi, I'm Ginny said...

Can't wait to keep reading! Welcome back to the blogging world. :)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this!! 27 weeeks still running and crossfitting. I love listening and hearing ecerybodys stories. truly inspiring!! Keep blogging!!

AngaritaD said...

I didn't think about how terrible the glucose test is!! I believe I will pass that one up next time around :D Thanks Jenn for the insight into a healthy and more fit pregnancy!