My Blog List

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Gimme my body back!

I like a challenge.

If someone even suggests that I can't or shouldn't do something (especially fitness or health related) I'm alllllllll over it! It's mine!!!

The majority of America would say a pregnant woman shouldn't lift 200lbs, did that. Getting pregnant in your mid 30's can cause birth defects, let's test the crap outta mom and stress her out. No thanks, pass...I'm pretty damn sure I'm more healthy than the average American so shove those inconclusive tests up your a$$!

Those voices that say it gets harder to lose the baby weight the more babies you have and the older you are....I say STICK IT! Let's talk about what's happening in momma's body, MY BODY. I'm 35 years old, considered elderly by reproductive standards, and I've birthed three healthy babies. All signs might indicated I'm bound to gain weight and keep gaining weight for the rest of my years. Not true. It's hormones folks, hormones.

Remember back a few years ago to puberty, the boys got muscles and funny voices and us girls got curves and BOOBS! Dang that estrogen. I take that back, estrogen is actually our friend. With the right amount of estrogen it can actually help fatty acids leave our fat cells (but that's a whole 'nother blog, read Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat"). Too much estrogen and we're going through puberty again....say hello to my hips, thighs and BOOBS! I easily have 15 pounds of extra "cushion for the pushin" because I'm breast feeding and my estrogen levels are elevated. Ok, so there's one hormone keeping me from my pre baby body.

Next up to bat, relaxin. You've heard that pregnancy causes liagaments to stretch more to accommodate a growing baby and to help the birthing process. Well that hormone hangs out for about 3 more months after birth (give or take a few months, we're all different) and is yet ANOTHER reason my hips have not returned to my pre baby body!

And last up to bat is a pair of hormones, cortisol and the growth hormone. These two hormones are released at night while we sleep and are responsible for repairing cells. Did you catch that one word? SLEEP. How many new moms get much sleep? I know I don't....it's so much harder for my body to do any repair work completely if I'm getting only a few hours of sleep.

I may not be in control of these hormones (clearly my daughter is!) but what I can be in control of is my diet and my fitness. I avoid all foods that contain sugar and are high in carbs. These food feed insulin and therefore make mommy's (and daddys) FAT. I eat meats, veggies and some nuts. These foods help to keep my hormones on an even keel and I'm slowly seeing and feeling changes back to my pre baby body, but I honestly don't expect to see me 15 pounds lighter until I'm no longer sharing the booby juice with my baby. Plus, I am thrilled to finally be back in the gym!! Sore isn't even the word for how I feel but it's great to not only be among fellow CrossFitters but to feel the muscles return...slowly. The neurological response found in CrossFit's constantly varied, highly functional, intense workouts push me harder than any old school globo gym tactics (think back and bi's and an hour of cardio).

It may feel like life it out of control because of those hormones but with some hard work, and it is VERY hard work being mom, it can be done.

No comments: